Home Profile History
History
Master Printers' Association

Sivakasi, The Town well known throughout India as “Little Japan” is famous for its Printing Industries, Match factories and Fire works. The First Printing Press in Sivakasi was started in 1942. To promote and to protect the handful of printing units, the Sivakasi Master Printers’ Association was established in 1948. Members felt the need for skilled workers such as artist, plate makers, printers and Computer operators.

To train workers, Graphics Arts School was established on 31st January 1977. During the summer vacation certificate courses in camera operation and plate making were conducted. On 6th June 1978 the Government of Madras accorded affiliation for conducting certificate course in 

  • Photo Engraving and Camera Operation
  • Lithographic printing
  • Lithographic platemaking 
  • Hand Composition and proof reading with an intake of 20 students in each course

A separate block to house class rooms, machine and computer rooms was erected and declared open on April 1982 by the Education Minister Mr. Aranganayagam. Diploma Course in printing was offered from June 1983 with an intake of twenty in the beginning.

The Institute was shifted to a more spacious new campus at Meenakshipuram during July 2007. In this campus the total built up area is 5335.24 sq m of R.C.C. class rooms, laboratories and Computer centers and 1736.55 sq m of A.C.C. Sheet workshops. A further 3000 sq m of R.C.C buildings and 8000 sq m of fully equipped workshops will be added soon. On completion SIPT will be one of the best equipped and scientifically planned polytechnics in Tamilnadu with a sanctioned intake of 420 students.